Why do some people excel effortlessly where others fail despite having the same opportunities and facing equal challenges? Or do we ever wonder why handling adversity seems natural to some but completely alien to others? Research in Emotional Intelligence (EI) — a term coined by Peter Salovey and John Mayer—tells us that persons with higher EI are disposed to exerting more control over the occurrences in their lives.Read More
Nigeria’s government this week launched a master plan to lift it out of recession, hoping to hit 7.0 percent growth by 2020, but economists believe the programme sets the bar too high.
The detailed plan was published on Monday and outlines how the west African oil giant thinks it can turn around its worst economic crisis in 25 years.Read More
The Inaugural Electricity Market Summit would seek to address these issues in a strategic manner by engaging electricity market players in robust presentations and plenary discussions. We would also be producing an official document to be presented to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria Muhammadu Buhari to help guide power sector specific strategy formulation.
The Electricity industry headlines are menacing:
- “Generation capacity is grossly inadequate for the nation”
- “Transmission network is highly constrained and congested”
- “The distribution network is weak and overloaded”, “ATC&C losses too high”
- ” Nigeria crippled by power shortages”
The Q2 Power poll results released by NOIPolls yesterday (click link) revealed that Nigerians spend almost three times the cost of direct power supply from Power Distribution Companies (DISCOs) on alternative sources of power.
In spite of the successful sale of the generation and distribution assets to private investors, the situation of power has not experienced much transformation as 77.5% of Nigerians still purchase alternative sources of power for residential and business purposes.
Despite the additional financial burden of using alternative supplies, why are Nigerians unwilling to accede to tariff increment as stipulated by the Multi year Tariff Order (MYTO) to get better power? Why is there so much distrust within the industry? Why is there disharmony between the operators, the market and the regulators? What are the ways forward – how do we create a Power industry brand that will attract and retain requisite investors?
Tomorrow, at 09h00, Mr. Meka Olowola will join like Dr Shamsudeen Usman and the eminently erudite Dr.Noel Akpata, to present to the Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and industry pundits, the concept of a private sector driven coalition that will:
- expedite effective industry collaboration, mediation, synergies and identifying rooms for improvement
- advocate for sector-wide policy change and thought reorientation, and
- facilitate strategic investments to drive a holistic approach to value chain development of the electricity sector in Nigeria.
- Never take your eye off corporate governance
- Poor corporate governance, debt and a debilitating market condition, each can turn a company belly-up , but when all three factors are present, catastrophe is inevitable. If you are leveraged, then ensure your governance is right at least, as nobody has control over market forces
- The more successful we get, the more careful we should be – at about this time last year, Afren was the toast of the Nigerian Oil and Gas conference in Abuja
- What you do and who you speak to when in trouble is critical to the outcome. Turning to Hayward before Linn at such a critical time, was a mistake
- Managing reputation is not about spinning positive news, it is about doing positive things and letting key stakeholders know about it
- If you ever, ever, desire to go PLC, think again! Corporate responsibility is no longer what companies do to look good, it is want they do to stay alive!
- Again, never take your eye off corporate governance
The Article from Financial Times
Afren investors set to be wiped out
- ENDORSEMENTS OF COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT STANDARDS PUNCTUATE DISCUSSIONS AT THE 8TH SUSTAINABILITY IN THE EXTRACTIVE INDUSTRIES CONFERENCE
- Press Release: Zenera Consulting Joins Association of Advertising Agencies of Nigeria
- FG partners Horasis, Zenera Consulting to attract 500 investors to Nigeria
- Zenera Consulting Emerges Outstanding Brand Management Company of the Year
- Meka Olowola wins PR and Image Management Award